So I've had a GA-H97M-D3H motherboard since I got my hackintosh in September 2015. It's paired with a GTX 970, a Xeon E3-1231v3, and 16GB of RAM. Overall quite a nice PC. The problem is that the motherboard has recently been causing instabilities that I originally attributed to software, but when I got my 970 today, it froze minutes after putting it in. And I don't mean if bluescreened (I was testing with windows). It FROZE. The graphics framebuffer was stuck up, showing the last frame before the freeze, the speaker was playing a glitched out ticking noise, and the power button wouldn't turn the thing off, no matter how long I held it down. I shut the PC off by unplugging it, expecting that it was just a crash that happens sometimes, and that maybe it was just a fluke. No such luck. I booted the PC again, but was greeted with some fans off and some fans stuck at 100%, constant power cycling, awful sounds of fans going faster than I had ever heard them go. I rebooted a bunch more times. Once or twice I managed to boot, once for long enough to run a pretty intense gaming benchmark, showing me that the CPU and GPU seem to be fine, before it crashed well after I had closed the benchmark. Yes, I have tried the old GPU, and two other GPUs, and a bunch of ram configurations, and reseating everything.

To get to the point, I'm going to send the board in for warranty (Gigabyte seems to have a good warranty system), but I really don't want to be without my desktop for potentially months, so I am going to need to buy another board and just sell the old one once it's returned. I would like the potential to "overclock" by forcing turbo boost in the event that I may someday get a better CPU cooler, and the potential to throw another 970 in there in SLI (even if this only works in windows, that's where I do most of the gaming). My current board does neither of those things. It also needs to be mATX to fit in my case (prodigy M). What motherboards does /r/hackintosh have that would meet these criteria?

submitted by /u/DodoDude700
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment