I posted this on /r/buildapc earlier today.

Thought it'd make sense to post in this sub too.

 


TL;DR: I’m having trouble setting up a single SSD to triple boot Mac OSX, Win 10, and Ubuntu. I’m hoping someone can tell me what I’m doing wrong, or how I can more easily accomplish this task. I’ve listed all my hardware and all the steps I typically take in trying to set up this triple boot. But I cant seem to get it right. Any and all help would be appreciated.

I'll try just about anything.

I have no emotional attachments to anything. If you suggest I drop Clover Bootloader and give me a better alternative, I'll try it. If you suggest I install Windows before Mac, I'll try it.

I'm at work right now, so I'll check hourly.


 

Hardware

 

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty (LGA 1150 Intel Z97) [UEFI BIOS]

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-pin DDR3 1600

SSD: Intel 535 Series 240 GB, 2.5” SATA III

HDD: WD Black 5 TB 7200 RPM, 3.5” SATA

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked (Nvidia)

Optical Drive: Some random optical drive I pulled out of one my old computers to help install

*While building this I have access to a MacBook Pro and an iMac which I can use to set up bootable USBs, download disc images, cry to reddit for help, etc.

**There are quite a few USBs and CDs floating around in my explanation, so I summarized them here


-Unibeast USB (Contains Mac ISo, and Clover Bootloader) -USB #2 (Contains Multibeast, and Driver firmware updates) -USB #3 (Ubuntu 15.15 Bootable ISO) -CD #1 (Windows 10 ISO) -CD #2 (Ubuntu 15.15 ISO)

 


 

My Current Process:

 

1.) Connected my build to an Ethernet cable and updated my UEFI.

2.) Created bootable USB with Mac iso using Unibeast.

3.) Boot Unibeast USB on build. Takes me to Clover bootloader. Load Mac iso from USB.

4.) From Mac iso on Unibeast USB I can access Disk Utility.

5.) In Disk Utility I format SSD to GUID Partition Map. Then I partition SSD into equal thirds and I make:


a.) Macintosh SSD – OSX Extended (Journaled) b.) Windows SSD – MS-DOS (Fat 32) c.) Linux SSD – MS-DOS (Fat 32)

6.) I close Disk Utility, which navigates me back to the Mac install screen and I begin Mac installation on the Macintosh SSD partition.

7.) After installation computer restarts by itself, and boots back into Unibeast USB, which takes me to Clover Boot Loader where I load Macintosh SSD.

8.) Mac starts up normally. I finish installation process. Successfully log into mac.

9.) I open USB #2. I run multibeast. I update GPU firmware. I reboot.

10.) UEFI takes me back to Unibeast USB, which takes me to Clover Bootloader.

11.) From Clover Bootloader I navigate to Clover Boot Options. I “Add Clover boot options for all Entries”. And I reboot.

12.) At this point, my UEFI now has the option to boot Mac WITHOUT the aid of Unibeast UEFI

13.) I reboot into UEFI. I choose to run optical drive. I put in CD #1 I begin Windows 10 installation.

14.) While in Windows 10 Installation I navigate to custom installation.

15.) I find the SSD partition I created specifically for Windows.

16.) I format it to NTFS. And reboot.

17.) I boot back into optical drive. Begin Windows Installation again, choosing newly formatted NTFS partition.

18.) Windows successfully installs.

19.) I can only access Windows from UEFI by booting directly into Intel SSD.

19a.) Clover Bootloader recognizes Windows on SSD but crashes when I try to boot from Clover.

20.) I swap out CD #1 for CD #2. I reboot. UEFI into optical drive. I begin Ubuntu installation process.

20a.) This is an entirely separate issue but it’s worth mentioning. Ubuntu font doesn’t render. Letter and words are missing.

21.) I continue with Ubuntu installation.

22.) I find Linux SSD partition. I reformat it to ext4. And I store the bootloader on the SAME partition.

23.) I reboot.

 


 

Additional details.

 

-From this point I can point my UEFI to the Clover Mac Boot Option, which loads Clover Bootloader.

-From Clover Bootloader I can successfully boot into Mac and Ubuntu.

-Attempting to boot Windows from the Clover Bootloader results in a fatal error, although the windows partition is recognized by the Clover Bootloader.

-I also can’t login into unbuntu after booting. Whenever I boot into Linux, and enter my login info, it immediately goes black, then shows

fsck from util-linux 2.26.2

/dev/sda3: clean, 192621/16608 files, 1210036/19461288 blooks”

And then takes me back to the login screen.

-I've tried fixing Ubuntu login issues using Boot-Loader, but I get the message

GPT detected. Please create a BIOS-BOOT partition(<1MB, unformatted file system, bios_grub flag). This can be performed via tools such a Gparted. Alternatively you can retry activating [separate/boot/efi partition:] option

submitted by /u/Santarini
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment