This summer I have around $1,500 to put into a PC build. I work for my university's IT department and scored a late 2005 PowerMac G5 that still works for free. (They were just going to throw that baby out!) I've worked with plenty of hardware and software on multiple platforms and I've decided to go the route of building a hackinotsh because Mac OS X is my primary OS.


I was wondering if anyone who has modded this case can say it's worth it? A lot of cases on the market to way too flashy and big and the G5 case itself is pretty much the ideal size and design. I just don't want to look like some obsessed Apple fanboy with a G5 case housing ATX hardware. I've also heard of some people switching to another case after modding a G5.


Also since it's the late 2005 G5, the front I/O panel cannot be modded to work with a standard ATX motherboard. I know I can buy an older I/O panel from an older G5 except those go for around $40. Then I have to buy the cable that converts it to work with an ATX motherboard which is another $40. So thats $80 just to use the front panel.


Also there's the problem of this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachments/customization/20198d1342992994-wifi-mod-very-thin-antennae-fit-late-2005-g5-1298955668_1.jpg


That's bar that runs down the side is the antenna for bluetooth and wireless on the model I have. So the Mountain Mods mobo tray isn't wide enough to cover the hole up. However, the Lazerhive G5 conversion kit is large enough to cover it. Except that along with a tray to covert the G5 case standoffs to ATX standoffs shipped here to the States is about $120.


So I'm looking at around $200 to mod this case now. Not to mention the the effort and time put into modding the case. Is it still worth it? Or should I just get a regular 'ol case that I can just drop the hardware in for my build?



submitted by rc102

[link] [comment]

What is missing? Please comment to help! ...[source] For more info try www.iatkos.net

Post a Comment