I currently am on a late 2007 iMac which has done the trick all these years though it crashes from overheating. I want a new computer and instead of getting a new iMac I am thinking of building a Hackintosh to play some PC games and maybe get a better computer for the same money. This iMac is the oldest computer that runs the last three OS versions, though I'm still on Mavericks. So I could get El Capitan for free and use that on the new computer.

Here are my needs: PC: Play Fallout 4, mostly to use the Creation Kit to make mods (I already have the game on PS4). Also possibly to someday get Vive and play Fallout 4 in VR next year. Any other game I play will probably be older but I want to have a decent gaming computer.
Mac: I own a physical copy of Adobe CS6. I mostly use Photoshop but have the entire suite. I don't want to get a PC version or use the cloud.

I also use Quark Xpress but could switch to InDesign, I'm just used to Quark. I use the music program Reason. I think I can use either Mac or PC with my license.
Anything else I do could be done on either platform like videos, internet, torrents, word processing, etc (mostly use Google docs anyway).

Here is a build I came up. I wouldn't mind spending a little less but this is in the range of a new iMac which is my alternative if I stick with Mac hardware. I still need a monitor but can use a TV for now. I also need some sort of networking card, I mostly use Ethernet not wifi now so I'm not sure if I even need wifi, unless Ethernet is harder to get working.
Just looking for suggestions or to know if this looks like a good build. I wouldn't mind going $100-200 either way to improve my build or eliminate something unnecessary. Thanks.

Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Zalman CNPS8000B CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
2x Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply


Post a Comment