System: MacPro 1,1 - "hackintosh"ed to run 10.10.x with 8800 GT


Since you all are familiar with hacking kexts I figured I'd drop my question here...


I was messing around with getting CUDA to work on my system and screwed up the Web Driver installation. Basically the software I'm trying to use wasnt finding the CUDA support. I looked around and people were like "update the driver". I went to nvidia's page to get the driver.


I tried to force 343.02 to install on my 10.10.2 system. Its listed as "compatible" on the nvidia site but the installer was complaining about it being incompatible. After googling around a bit, reading some forums - it came down to removing the version checking in the installer. Seemed reasonable enough. Why? Apple released an update a few weeks ago that apparently stopped the driver from installing because it changed the version number of OSX from 14C1510. If you never installed that Apple update and tried to install 343.02 you were good to go - but will hit the incompatibility warning if the update was installed.


So after reading some forums, I said sure - and modified the installer to skip version checking and installed the driver. After installation it came back and said something like "Using the default NVIDIA driver because what you just installed isnt compatible are you sure you want to use the new one?" I had an option to use the default, or to throw caution to the wind and use the updated driver regardless. So i said - use the new driver.


Now the system wont boot at all. Not even chime... Tried all the smc / pram reset stuff etc. Nothing


Because I'm always screwing with something - i keep a backup HDD in a drawer on my desk running a "gold" image of my system. Which brings me to my question.


Is there a way to replace the drivers on the "broken" installation with the drivers that are on my gold image? They're the same baseline versions of OSX, 10.10.2 - the gold image has the default Apple drivers, the broken copy has the latest nvidia ones along with all the cuda toolkit, xcode, etc. Or perhaps tell the nvidia installer to target a different (not running) installation on a separate disk?


I imagine this is just a copy / paste / overwrite operation - but i have no idea what / where to replace.


I hope thats clear, and thanks in advance.



submitted by jackspayed

[link] [comment]

What is missing? Please comment to help!

For more info try www.iatkos.net

Post a Comment