I’ve Hackintoshed both my personal desktop, as well as my work laptop. My personal laptop was Hackintoshed for a short period of time, however I was never able to get it fully working (it was mostly a problem with boot flags I didn’t feel like tinkering with. The specs of my machines are:

Desktop:

Processor: Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge Motherboard: Biostar TZ77B Ram: 16gb of mixed brands (OEM + G.Skill) GPU: Asus GTX 770 DCU-II Overclocked (2gb variant) SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Evo

Laptop Laptop model: Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 Processor: Core i7-2670M Sandy Bridge Ram: 8gb GPU: Intel HD 3000 w/ GT 525 graphics (1gb) HD: Stock 320gb mechanical

The desktop was reasonably easy to do after I figured out boot flags. The only kext’s I needed were

  • NullCPUPowerManagement
  • FakeSMC
  • RealtekRTL8111
  • VoodooHDA
  • VoodooPS2Controller
  • VoodooPS2Keyboard
  • VoodooPS2Mouse (not sure if needed since I use a USB mouse came with my installer)
  • VoodooPS2Trackpad (I know I don’t need this)
  • VoodooTSCSync

I installed Yosemite on it, and after figuring out Kext’s and the proper bootflags (nvda_drv=1 PCIRootUID=1 ), it was smooth sailing until I tried to get it to boot without the USB key. Chameleon couldn’t find mach_kernel, and Clover gave me sandbox errors on both machines (http://ift.tt/1QkxYfq fixed it for both).

I did some benchmarks between my OS X install, and my Windows 10 install on another SSD. OS X was faster in OpenGL performance in Unigame Heaven by about 5-10%, and saw much better FPS in World of Warcraft (I’m getting 160+ FPS in WoW in some areas on ultra at 1080p). I have 0 problems playing games in OS X on high settings with my 770, and prefer playing on OS X (Except for full screen blanking out my two other monitors unless it’s in windowed mode).

Everything works perfectly except handoff + continuity due to the fact I don’t use WiFI on my desktop. I did have to use SwitchResX to get my 2K display to display at the correct resolution (2560x1*** (SwitchResX didn’t have a x1080 option, but the display works fine at x1440). There’s also a problem with Clover and USB 3 devices that I had posted about, but still doesn’t seem to be resolved, Unplugging all my usb3 devices is a workaround however annoying it is.

The laptop actually had a guide (however out of date it was), and was a piece of cake except for the Clover boot errors that were fixed with a google search). It uses all the same kext’s as the desktop but adds in a WiFi kext. I’m looking at getting a PCI-E wifi card that supports handoff + continuity to play with it. Bluetooth worked out of the box, but wifi didn’t. I’m using some no name USB adapter that with drivers works fine.

There’s a few problems with it, but I could probably fix it with a bit of work. Namely there is NO power management. The laptop is hot as hell (it made a lighter explode when I accidentally left it next to the vent), the battery is crap (I get about an hour, but it’s a 5-year-old laptop with the original battery). I found SSDTs, but not totally sure how to install it, and I’m not totally sure if that requires me to flash the BIOS with the hacked UEFI bios (not risking it, and I don’t know what utility to use to flash. The two I tried didn’t work). I’ll eventually upgrade to an SSD, however it requires complete disassembly of the laptop, which I’m not a huge fan of being a work laptop (Granted I’m IT and the only person that would ever know).

Both machines now run El Capitan, and the only problem that’s come from that is that the laptop WILL NOT SLEEP. It just crashes and reboots. Kind of a bummer, but probably easily fixed. The desktop never sleeps; I Just expect the displays to turn off.

I’ll try to hang around here and help when I can. I’ve been running OS X for 6+ months now on my desktop, and a month on my work laptop.

submitted by /u/PrincessZoey89
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment