I have been using an Nvidia GTX 980ti, for my hackintosh rig for the past year...it's been great for the dual boot purposes. Recently I upgraded my monitor to a Dell Ultrasharp with 10bit color. Unfortunately Geforce cards do not ouput to this. In addition I was having trouble using Adobe Products...(Illustrator would crash. Photoshop had to have "advanced graphics" turned off.)

I felt that I was gimping my nvidia card and not using my new monitor to it's full potential.

So I decided to swap my 980ti for my girlfriends r9 380...and it worked perfectly! No crashing in Adobe apps..10 bit color space.

The only caveat is you need to boot with the IGPU (via HDMI) and my r9 380 (via Display Port). The screen is black on boot...no bios..no clover...but then it brings up my login screen.

Machine Specs:

  • i7 6700
  • 32GB Ram
  • Cinebench GPU score of 109
  • Dell UltraSharp UP2716D
  • R9 380 (Of course)
  • Smbios imac 17,1
  • OSX 10.11.4
  • Node 202 case

No issues with sleep or sound. It might be due to the install guide detailed here.

This setup might not be ideal for many people. But if you want Adobe Apps to work to their fullest, want 10bit color...here ya go.

submitted by /u/ffffminus
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment